A simple model for prayer
Prayer allows us to enjoy relationship with God and connect with his power and strength. It is an amazing and personal dialogue! Our hope is that the daily practice of prayer would be a great joy and delight, something that you look forward to, and a source of peace, power, perspective, energy and life.
We have developed a simple model for prayer that it is easy to remember, P.R.A.Y. You can do this on the move or in a quiet place, in a few minutes or for a longer time. Ideally, we would encourage you to find whatever space you can and jot down a few notes for each point on a notepad or phone.
Oh, the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or stand around with sinners, or join in with mockers. But they delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night.
Psalm 1:1-2 NLT (emphasis added)
Praise and Thanksgiving
See God for who He is and thank Him for what He has done.
- List an attribute of God’s character or nature (God is Loving, Provider, etc)
- Write down a few things you are thankful for in your life
Repent and Receive
Change the way you think about God and yourself. Admit your need for God and your failings. Receive His grace and His truth for your life.
- I’m sorry for my limited thinking in the area of…
- I’m sorry for my actions and thoughts...
- I receive your truth...
- I receive my identity as...
Ask for what you need, ask for God to speak to you, ask for others needs, ask for God to change your heart.
- Pray scriptures of God’s promises where possible. E.g. God I thank you for supplying my needs as you promised when we put you first in our life (Matt 6:33)
What is God asking you to do? Say "Yes".
- God I’m saying yes to…
We hope it encourages you!